Be The Helpers

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."- Mister Rogers

With the recent bombing in Boston, and my pending trip to Kenya, I felt this post was fitting. 

These helpers are not fearless. The fear is pushed aside as their strength and compassion for human life break through. You will find these selfless citizens running directly into disaster, instead of away. They are the helpers that Mr. Roger's mother was speaking about.  

The people of Boston went through an unimaginable tragedy that will not soon be forgotten. The fear in the runners and spectators was fierce, I'm sure. Three dead and more than 170 injured. "Patrick and Jessica Downes were married in August. Both are avid runners. According to an email sent to friends, each lost their left leg below the knee." That couple woke up expecting to run in a marathon in which they were passionate about, and now their lives will never be the same. However, while so much tragedy gets most of the headlines, there were helpers. EMS, police, firefighters, nurses, doctors, runners and spectators ran into this appalling scene to help someone, anyone. Pictures below demonstrate it. Some of these images are graphic, viewer discretion advised. Try and focus on the helpers, as there are so many.


boston-ss-04.jpg 

boston-ss-01.jpg

boston-ss-03.jpg 

boston-ss-05.jpg




 





In 10 short days I will become a helper, not in such an acute setting as Boston, but still helping. The unknown, the possible danger, the probable loss of comfort, all around the bend. To be honest, I am nervous as hell. I strive to be like the many helpers in Boston. I pray my fear is over taken with strength and compassion as theirs was. I will be heading into areas most would avoid, taking care of people that most would deem a lost cause. The residents in these slums have nothing. No access to medicine, nutritious food, clean water, or toilets. Basic human needs denied. Nothing. The conditions are known to be beyond deplorable, and I haven't even witnessed them first hand yet. Here are some photos of where I will be going, where I will be helping.

 



 



Anyone can be the helpers that Mr. Roger's mother talked about. Anyone can conquer their fears, take their strength and help another human being. Disaster pops up in many different ways. Not all are as immense as the Boston bombing or the disparities in Africa.  Step up and help in any way you can, don't run the other way. Too often we say things like "that's not my problem" "why should I care" "I can't do anything to help". These statements are, I believe, a form of fear. Help others simply because they are worth just as much as you are. Help others because we need a little hope in this world that is full of so many devastating occurrences. Be the helpers.

Comments

  1. Bless you, Liz. you are one of the true angels in this world. My son has a charity in Uganda so I know a little about what you will encounter and you will be changing so many lives just by being there. God will hold you in His hands and keep you safe and your life will be forever changed for the better by this mission.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What people don't say at funerals

It's Not Rocket Science

The Adequacy in Inadequacy